SCHUMER, GILLIBRAND ANNOUNCE MORE THAN $3.4 MILLION IN FEDERAL FUNDS FOR NORTH COUNTRY HOUSING AUTHORITIES
Federal Capital Fund Program Will Provide Funding For Housing Authorities Across the North Country to Develop, Modernize, Improve Facilities for Low-Income Families, Elderly, People with Disabilities
Today, U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand today announced $3,417,611 in federal funding for North Country housing authorities. These funds were allocated through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Public Housing Capital Fund. Schumer and Gillibrand said this funding will help support the housing authorities in Clinton, Franklin, Herkimer, Jefferson, and St. Lawrence Counties to develop, finance, and modernize their public housing facilities for people within the community. The Senators said these public housing agencies are tasked with providing safe rental housing for low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities, and this funding will allow them to improve facilities for those people in most need.
“Having a roof over your head is one of life’s basic necessities, so we must do everything we can to help provide those truly in need with a place to live. This federal funding will help support affordable housing initiatives throughout the North Country that assist needy families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities in finding an affordable place to live,” said Senator Schumer.
“All New Yorkers should have a place to live that is safe and affordable,” said Senator Gillibrand. “This critical funding will help ensure North Country families and seniors have access to safe affordable housing options and that the community's needs are met.”
The following housing agencies will receive federal funding through this Capital Fund Program through HUD:
- Plattsburgh Housing Authority in Clinton County will receive $709,339.
- Harrietstown Housing Authority in Franklin County will receive $132,844.
- Malone Housing Authority in Franklin County will receive $228,828.
- Tupper Lake Housing Authority in Franklin County will receive $127,748.
- Herkimer Housing Authority in Herkimer County will receive $186,800.
- Watertown Housing Authority in Jefferson County will receive $899,489.
- West Carthage Housing Authority in Jefferson County will receive $61,812.
- Wilna Housing Authority in Jefferson County will receive $117,908.
- Canton Housing Authority in St. Lawrence County will receive $213,754.
- Massena Housing Authority in St. Lawrence County will receive $294,788.
- Ogdensburg Housing Authority in St. Lawrence County will receive $444,301.
HUD’s Office of Capital Improvement administers the Capital Fund program, which provides funds annually to more than 3,000 public housing agencies (PHAs) across the country. PHAs may use Capital Fund grants for development, financing, modernization, and management improvements. Assistance must be used to modernize and/or develop public housing and must comply with the eligible activities of Section 9(d) of the U.S. Housing Act of 1937.
Previous Article Next Article